Dec 27, 2007

Boxing Day bargain hunters hit jewelry auction


Edmonton's real Boxing Day bargain hunters were the ones with the twinkle in their eyes as they bid on diamond jewelry and even a Mercedes Benz at the Westin Hotel yesterday afternoon.


Staged by Federal Auction Service, the event featured rings, necklaces and watches seized by Ontario authorities - and attracted bidders ranging from return customers to outright rookies.


"I haven't been to one of these before, so I thought I'd check it out," Edmontonian Larry Hannah said with a smile. "If I see something I like, I'll bid, but I'm not counting on anything.


"It's more out of curiosity, and maybe a Boxing Day bargain, that I'm here."


There were plenty of bargains to be had for those willing to shell out hundreds, thousands and even tens of thousands of dollars to land them.


Among the first items on the block, a strand of pearls appraised at $1,400, sold for $200, a $7,000 diamond and sapphire necklace rang in at $1,750 and a man's emerald ring valued at $8,000 went for a song, or $1,100.


The new owner of the 2007 Mercedes Benz S550 won't be known for a couple of weeks, however. As auctioneer Kash Khan explained, Federal Auction Service, based in Toronto and Vancouver, is accepting bids nationwide.


Bidders were also paying plenty of attention to another rare gem at yesterday's auction: a gold ring set with a pink diamond from Australia and appraised at a breathtaking $290,000 - and rising.


The pink diamond ring went unsold.
Source: edmontonsun

No comments: