Jan 7, 2008

Jewelry maker uses clay in her creations


Argus-Press Photo by Cheryll Warren AIMEE Tyler holds bracelets made of clay beads.

Aimee Tyler became interested in jewelry making about four years ago as she and her co-workers dressed for the holidays.

“I could never find holiday jewelry that I liked,” she said, “so I started making it. My first attempt was a hairpiece with bells and bows for Christmas.”

Last spring she began to work with colorful clay, creating clay beads and novelty items for bracelets, jewelry, hairpieces, earrings and necklaces.

She went to the Internet for help with her projects, but much of what she has created from clay has come through her own experimentation. She even has some glow-in-the-dark beads and jewelry, also very colorful.

Much of what she makes from clay continues to have holiday themes, but she also makes many novelty jewelry items. Her first clay creations were tiny, colorful animals.

“I enjoy creating and finding, ‘No, that doesn't work,' and rearranging it until I can say, “Yep, that works,'” she said. “The earrings are probably my favorite to make.”

The clay beads are made by rolling, slicing, patting pieces together and placing pieces in positions which create the effects she desires. Every clay item needs to be baked before it is finished. Her materials come from craft shops which carry clay in a variety of intense colors.

“My favorite are the iridescent clays,” she said.

Tyler has taken some of her work to local craft shows, as well.
Source: argus-press

No comments: